Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Red Wine & Fig Jam




Figs and I have a history.

Back in the day, figs used to hang out with my sister quite a bit. She liked them as Fig Newtons or their French equivalent, Figolu, so that was their deal. I used to let them do their thing--I didn't want to bother their thriving relationship in any way.

And then, at some point, figs starting spending more time around me, too. I was a lot older, I guess that's why--they didn't really think I was that cool when I thought I was Superman and tried jumping off the stairs. Gradually, figs and I became friends. I tolerated their presence, and they didn't seem to mind me, either. One day, we got a little closer when I discovered I really enjoyed figs in perfume. Also, when fig jam appeared alongside cheese, I didn't even glance further than the glass jar. Figs and I were just about to embark on what seemed to be a long-term relationship.

This summer, we were having drinks and a light dinner at our family friend Noreen's house, shortly before I returned to France. You may think it was me being all emotional about leaving the country, but my relationship with figs got really serious right then and there. Fig jam is one thing, but Noreen's red wine and fig jam?

Other-worldly.

I could have eaten it on anything--bread, scones, apples, celery, who knows, maybe even French fries. Imagine this with goat cheese gougères, or with anything your heart desires, really.

So, with Noreen officiating, I would like to show the world that my relationship with figs has bloomed. Yours will, too, if you give this recipe a try. Try to hide it from your significant other, though--they might start thinking about figs a little too much for your taste.




Red Wine and Fig Jam
recipe courtesy of Noreen

1/4 c. fresh lime juice

1 c. raw sugar
12 oz. Turkish figs, cut into large pieces (if using Black Mission Figs, you may need to decrease the sugar as they are noticeably sweeter)
about 1/3 c. Chardonnay

Place figs in a food processor and grind until you obtain small pieces.

Place ground figs, lime juice and raw sugar in saucepan. Mash together using the back of a large spoon, and let sit for an hour and a half to two hours.

Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat and stir. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so. If the jam begins to thicken before the 30 minutes, then remove and let cool. After jam has cooled, place in saucepan with chardonnay and heat until jam is thick but spreadable.

The jam may stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. If serving from the refrigerator and the jam is too thick place some chardonnay in a saucepan and add the jam until it becomes spreadable but not thin.
Print this post

9 comments:

Paris Pastry said...

How interesting! I often serve cheese platters with fig bread, but I've never had a fig jam.

claudia said...

Fig jam and goat cheese on fresh crusty bread....sounds good!

chriesi said...

Delicious!

Cocina Savant said...

Fig jam makes me so happy. I ate my great grandmother's fig jam while growing up. Yours looks splendid with the addition of red wine.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really sounds lovely and will be tried when things around here slow down. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

grace said...

i think figs are one of the most photogenic fruits. sadly, i've never eaten them fresh. tragic, right?

Pam said...

Great! I love figs and must try this. So glad to find your blog!

Lucie said...

Grace--fresh figs are in season right now, at least in France--try them with some yogurt and honey. So delicious!

For this recipe, though, dried figs are actually best.

Reeni said...

I love figs and fig jam! What a delicious twist with the red wine. Perfect to pair with cheese or over warm brie. Delicious!