Saturday, November 20, 2010

Layers





When Fall gives way to Winter, leaves disappear...leaving naked branches behind. 

What happens to arms and legs is inversely proportional.  Winter announces the beginning of what I like to call Layer Season. Forget about wearing a t-shirt: now, it's all about long sleeves plus various sweaters, a coat and a scarf. Layer Season comes and goes along its own agenda, depending on the years. And that is exactly why L.S. and I aren't buddy-buddy.

Remember, Layer Season, when you came along in October? I was six years old and I can tell you I still haven't forgotten. Forget being dressed as Snow White for Halloween...I was Snow White-in-a-Turtleneck. 

Nowadays, Layer Season making its appearance a little early isn't such an issue for me--after all, I now get to choose how I dress, and prefer to leave the turtlenecks behind pretty often. However, it seems this particular time of year has left an indelible mark on the way I bake, not the way I dress.

Summertime is all about the fresh berry tarts. Fall? Apple crisps, pumpkin muffins. And then comes a time when you get caught up in the moment, enjoying all the Fall spices and flavors. There you go--you feel like layering.

I've had one bad experience with layering before, and it involved a pumpkin pecan pie mishap. This time around, though, I went a lighter route: pumpkin and apples baked into delicious streusel-topped muffins. I'll admit it, Layer Season can have its benefits. Don't be afraid of overload with this recipe: the resulting muffins are surprisingly light, and easy to enjoy at any time of the day (i.e. you can even munch on them at work without falling asleep afterward).


So, thank you, Layer Season, for the inspiration. Just one last thing: next time I dress up as Cinderella, can you please stay out of the way for a while? Thanks.


Apple-Pumpkin Muffins
makes approximately 14
loosely adapted from Bon Appétit, Oct. 2001

for apples:
3 medium apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 TB butter
2 TB granulated sugar
1 TS cinnamon

for cake:
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. brown sugar
6 TB butter, room temperature
1/2 c. sour cream, light or regular
2 eggs
3/4 c. pumpkin puree
1 TS baking soda
2 TS pumpkin pie spice
1/2 TS cinnamon
1/2 TS salt

Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C.

Prepare apples: melt butter over medium heat. Add apples and and cook until they begin to brown. Add sugar and cinnamon, stir, and cook another 2 minutes.

In a medium bowl, mix butter, brown sugar, flour and salt together with your hands until a coarse meal forms. Set 1/2 c. of mixture aside for topping.

Add the following ingredients to the remaining flour mixture: pumpkin, sour cream, baking soda, and spices, until just combined. Add eggs one at a time.

Divide batter between greased or lined muffins pans. Top with apples, and sprinkle flour mixture on top.

Bake approximately one hour, until topping is golden. Serve warm with ice cream.
Print this post

10 comments:

Eleni said...

those look divine! it's my saturday baking day, so i'll try them!
happy birthday! :)

claudia said...

They do indeed look really good, should try them too!

cocoa and coconut said...

Oh what a treat

Paris Pastry said...

Urgh, I hate wearing layers! But alas, it is the only way to stay warm... Love your muffins; they look like layers of deliciousness!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Pumpkin and apples? Interesting combination Lucie.

Here in FL layering is a must. It's cold for an hour in the morning, warm in the afternoon, and cool in the evenings.
~ingrid

Barbara said...

Ah yes, layers. I remember it well. One Halloween the kids went trick or treating with a snowsuit under their costumes!

Love your layered cupcakes!!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I really loved this post. Your dessert sounds fabulous, but I loved the tale of Snow White. I once spent days working with yards of netting to make my daughter a ballerina costume. The temperature plummeted and she had to wear a heavy coat over her costume for trick or treating. No one ever saw how beautiful she looked as a ballerina :-). I hope you have had a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

grace said...

these beauties combine two of the quintessential fall ingredients. great post, lucie. :)

Juliana said...

Lucie, you muffins look great...love the idea of apples and pumpkin...all the yummie stuff together :-)

Seo Services said...

wow looking so nice ....