Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Banana Bread Muffins

Ever since I can remember, I have despised bananas.
The smell, the taste, but above all the texture have always disgusted me. When I want fruit, I usually want it to be juicy and satisfying--except for a few exceptions, like figs, which I only recently fully started to appreciate. Bananas, I thought, were only good for thickening a smoothie.

When I hear about a banana split, I can't help but wonder why someone would want to waste delicious ice cream on this fake fruit.
Alright, I tend to go overboard with my opinions, but the truth is that my mean retro oven has taught me one thing so far : banana bread is actually good.

The funny thing is sharing an apartment with someone who loves bananas, and loves them so much we bought some and he forgot to eat them. Maybe he just liked watching them change colors. Anyway, I was getting seriously nauseous from the banana smell all over the place, and remembered that my maman makes banana bread once in a while. Now she doesn't like bananas, at least I don't think so, but she makes the bread anyway.
"How bad can it be?" I thought, mustering up the courage to peel and smash these now-black strong-smelling fruits.
Obviously, I don't have a loaf pan around here, but decided to make banana bread muffins. I started out by smashing the bananas, and got pretty excited about the whole thing.

My oven being what it is, I was 90% sure they would end up awful for some uncontrollable reason or other.

Well, guess what. They turned out just fine...

and...

I had a piece. And another. And another. Hey, I like banana bread!


I hate bananas though. Did I mention I don't like the smell?


Banana Bread Muffins
(makes one loaf, or 12 muffins)

1/2 c. butter, room temperature
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
4 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream butter and sugar.
Add eggs and bananas, mix to combine. Next, add dry ingredients.
Finally, add vanilla. Don't overmix!

Pour into loaf pan or muffin liners, and bake until a knife comes out clean (it was around 45 minutes for me).
Print this post

0 comments: