Monday, March 23, 2009

Quiche aux Poireaux



A yummy box lunch


For many French women, my mother and aunt included, quiche belongs to the category of "quick" meals that you can whip up on any random weeknight. It's the type of dish where if you comment on how delicious it is, the answer will probably be something along the lines of "Thanks, but it really wasn't hard to make".

Quiche aux poireaux with a side of salad is almost a family member. One that you may not see that often, but pops up a couple of times a year and is always true to itself.

I decided to perpetrate the tradition and make my own quiche aux poireaux, silently thinking it would never be as good as the ones I grew up eating. First of all, I didn't make my own dough--if I had a real house with a big kitchen maybe I would, but frozen pie shells were my dough of choice for this one. My past quiches--zucchini, bell pepper--have been good but not outstanding, and sort of left me with a "blah" kind of feeling. It's not like a quiche is the hardest thing to make, though, which left me even more annoyed.

I was determined to get this quiche just right. Just in case it turned out well, I wanted to make up my own recipe, so that it would become my quiche. 

Well, my quiche it was, and my quiche it still is. I was amazed by how easy it was compared to the crazy flavor. For a simple leek quiche, it was extra flavorful and a real delight.

So next time I make my quiche and just in case I get some compliments, I'll know exactly what to say.

Oh thanks, but really it only took minutes to make.



Quiche aux poireaux

1 9-inch pie shell, defrosted, or 1 pate brisee
4 eggs
1 1/4 c. fat-free half-and-half
1 tbsp. Garlic & Herb seasoning (lazy me)
2 leeks, chopped
1 tsp. olive oil
salt and pepper

Heat olive oil in a pan; saute leeks with 1/2 tbsp. seasoning, salt, and pepper until soft and fragrant.

Beat eggs in a large bowl, add half-and-half, rest of seasoning, salt, and pepper.

In the bottom of the pie shell, add cooked leeks. Top with egg mixture.

Bake in an oven preheated to 350°F for 40-50 minutes, or until top is slightly golden.

Serve with any type of lettuce, with or without dressing.



Print this post

0 comments: